Friday, November 17, 2006

releases rant follow-up

I can't seem to add a reply to either of Greg's blog entries concerning my "releases" rant (or else there will be duplicate comments showing up, oops!) so I'll respond here and hope that he sees it.

As Dave mentioned in his comment on your blog, and after considering your more recent ideas, I suspect you're still tackling a different problem (and that's OK, I acknowledge that you may have a different perspective). I think you're assuming a certain state of mind that translates into critical thinking about what exactly a release tag corresponds to, whereas my concern is with developers who have been explicit about their decision not to spend mental energy on that. The result is that I can't justify adding their code as a dependency for my users.

No comments: