Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Today's workout

Today at the gym, Robyn had us do the "Filthy Fifty". Don't you love all these nifty CrossFit named workouts? In this case, you are asked to do 50 reps each of:

- Box Jump 24"/20"
- Jumping Pullup
- KB Swing 1 pood
- Walking Lunge 50 steps
- KTE
- Push Press 45#
- Back Ext.
- Wall Ball 20#/14#
- Burpee
- Double Under

What is a "pood", you ask? The main CrossFit site says it is a "Russian measure used for kettlebells; common ones: 1 pood =36 lbs; 1.5 pood = 54 lbs; 2 pood = 72 lbs. Approx db equivalents are 35, 55, 70". I chose a half-pood, or 18lbs.

KTE stands for "knees to elbows," and as Robyn said today, "from the bar is preferred." But some of us (i.e., me) had to substitute with a few crunches on the floor on our backs. The Back Extension is supposed to be done with weight, but I had to scale down to a very light bar because I don't yet have the flexibility to get my arms back enough to have the bar resting on my back muscles. I had to substitute a bunch of push-ups for half of my burpees. And finally, I substituted x3 single-unders for the double-under jump roping. And then I tossed in a run around the building, which is not quite 400m unless you keep going to the next warehouse entrance and come back.

And that's not counting the 25 burpees I did this morning (with real push-ups) to stay up-to-date with the burpee challenge! Man, I am wiped out now, but feeling good.

No comments: